Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Going to the Next Height



Looking down a steep hill high in the air gets my mind every time. I never really get sick. I just freeze up, and my mind tells my muscles to tighten and slow down. I know that the only way to conquer your fears is to face them. Kent does a great job of helping me do this.

On Sunday, I was once again reminded of my fear and my need to overcome it. Kent and I decided to go for a long adventurous run to the Twin Peaks. Twin Peaks sits upon the highest hills in San Francisco, and you can see the entire city as if you were a bird flying overhead. It is still amazing to me that all of these giant hills exist in the middle of the city!

We started off running from my apartment in SOMA, about a 6 mile jaunt to the peak. Factoring in the elevation changes, it was what one might call a challenging run. It started off pretty level, but anyone who knows the city of San Frncisco knows that doesn't last long. This city is sure to help those gluteous maximus muscles. ;) As we passed the Castro neighborhood, the real hills began. It was just gorgeous that day, so I had barely noticed that we had been running for miles. I was just taking in the view and enjoying conversation with Kent. However, I started feeling pretty winded as we started climbing the last big hill ... that ran through a neighborhood just below the peaks. We climbed about 300 stairs up once there was no more road to run. I was exhausted by the time we reached the actual peak. My legs started shaking, and I was feeling weak, but I kept pushing forward. As we headed up the peak, fear triggered my brain to say, "Stop, you can't do this. You aren't on level ground." This brings up the question: Does fear trigger the brain, or does the brain trigger fear?" I guess it has to start in the brain, right?



Why are some people prone to fear certain things, and others are not? I guess the important thing is to keep facing fears to prove that we can overcome! We can do what we thought we were incapable of. It won't be easy, but that is what makes is rewarding!

I kept going up the first peak. The pictures will show my 'slight' hesitation. Kent held my hand on the way down to reassure me that he wouldn't let me fall. Thankfully, he is so patient and helps me when I hit a wall. I was shaky when we got back down to the bottom of the first peak, but he reminded me and I reminded myself that I had been 10 times higher in the air when we skied in Tahoe- 10,000 feet in the air! In order to prove to myself that I could do it, we went to the top of the 2nd peak. I didn't feel like staying long but enjoyed the view nonetheless!
It was a wonderful run with beautiful views, and I am so happy that I could share it with such a wonderful person.

2 comments:

  1. So, where are the pictures? Did you run there and all the way back? You crazy girl. :) I'm just jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't run on the way back. Took public trans and stopped for brunch!!
    I'll have to post the pics tonight once I get home!!!

    ReplyDelete