Monday, August 24, 2009

Biking the Golden Gate Bridge



This blog is supposed to be about experiencing life to the fullest out in California! Last weekend, Kent and I decided to do the classic tourist experience in San Francisco- bike the Golden Gate Bridge. I was a little nervous as I have not ridden a bike in almost 20 years, but I hoped that the old addage "It's like riding a bike" was true.

And... it was! We headed down to the Fisherman's Wharf on Saturday afternoon and rented bikes. Neither of us own bikes right now. Kent had two bikes stolen last year on campus, and I haven't owned one since I was 6 years old. There were many different routes to choose from, but the classic experience is riding through Golden Gate Park, across the bridge, and down to Sausalito, where you can pick up the Ferry for a nice ride home on the SF Bay.

I was able to get the hang of it pretty quickly, even shifting gears and putting on breaks. :) Learning to ride a bike kind of makes you feel like a kid again. With all of the hustle and bustle and stresses of every day life, it is always good to take the time to remember the simplicities of youth.

I still feel like I am visiting San Francisco, and I am on an extended vacation to the West Coast. (A vacation filled with lots of work all week long). Home is really all about being with the people you love, and has less to do with the physical location of your whereabouts.

I sometimes miss Atlanta, reminisce about my long runs there, training for a marathon, running through Lenox Park down Druid Hills Road. The running then was really all about running away from the loneliness, dealing with the pain of separation, and becoming a stronger better person throughout the process. The finish line is only icing on the cake.

Atlanta was home to me until Kent came along, and it wasn't home anymore after he left. I guess home really is where the heart is. Now my heart is here, and one day I will reminisce about our days here. I just keep reminding myself to make the most of every single moment and soak in all of the wonderful things life has to offer!

1 comment: